Webpage created: February 08, 2016.
Webpage updated: February 08, 2016
EGYPTIAN HOUSE / ODD FELLOWS HALL
This unusual building is situated in Ker Street, opposite the Devonport Town Hall.
It was designed in the Egyptian style by the Plymouth architect, Mr John Foulston, and erected in 1823. It is reputed to have cost £1,500. The building is of two storeys with a recessed entrance in the centre, between Egyptian columns. It still has its original window surrounds and doors complete with Egyptian motifs.
The first owners were the Plymouth-Dock Classical and Mathematical School, which had been founded in the Town in August 1821. However, they soon relocated to Princes Street in 1827 and the premises were taken over by the Devonport Civil and Military Library. When the Library closed down in 1865 it appears to have remained empty until the Grand United Order of Odd Fellows purchased it in 1867, when it became known as the Odd Fellows Hall. The Minister of Housing and Local Government announced to the House of Commons in June 23rd 1964 that the Odd Fellows still owned the property.
After laying empty for a few years, in 1968 the building was re-opened as the Ker Street Social Club. The present owners, Mr and Mrs Alan Leaves, took over in 1989 and operate it as a social club and community centre, even opening on Christmas Day.