OLD DEVONPORT . UK
www.olddevonport.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: March 17, 2021
Webpage updated: March 17, 2021

To go to the Home Page          To go to the A-Z Contents Page

-

DRAKE PRIMARY SCHOOL

The 1950s school badge of Drake Primary School, Plymouth

The original School Badge.
Brian Moseley.

Drake Primary School is located at Johnston Terrace, off Saltash Road, Keyham, Plymouth.  It was built on the site of the Johnston Terrace Board School.

At the Plymouth City Council's Education Committee meeting on June 19th 1952 it was announced that the former Johnston Terrace Junior Mixed and Infant School was now to be known as Drake Junior Mixed and Infant School.

The School was opened in 1952 although building work had not been completed.  On October 1st 1952 five of the seven class-rooms were occupied but the hall and dining-room were still being finished.  The hall and dining-room had been deliberately placed next to the main Plymouth to Cornwall railway line in order to shield the class-rooms from the noise of the passing trains.

The Headmistress in 1955 was Miss E M Adams.

Drake Primary School was one of ten new schools in Plymouth declared officially open by the Minister of Education, the Right Honourable Sir David Mcadam Eccles KCVO MP, on Friday June 15th 1956.  The ceremony was actually held at the then Penlee Secondary Modern School, at Stoke, and was in the presence of the Deputy Lord Mayor, Alderman T H Watkins, and the Director of Education, Doctor Andrew Scotland.  The School had accommodation for 280 pupils at that time.

Drake Primary School Band circa 1955

Drake Primary School Band circa 1955.
Front row: second from left is Robert Kealey;
Second row: fifth from left is Brian Moseley;
Second row: far right is Christopher Horsham.
But who were the others?