OLD DEVONPORT . UK
www.olddevonport.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: December 22, 2018
Webpage updated: December 22, 2018

To go to the Home Page          To go to the A-Z Contents Page

-

DOMESDAY DEVONPORT

The term "manor" was not used in England before the |Norman Conquest of 1066.  It was brought over by the \Normans, who used the word to identify the estates or parcels of land that were previously occupied by the tenants of the Saxon overlords.

Robert d'Aumale held the manor of "Stoches".  He also held the manors of "Wide" (Widey) and "Witelie" (Whitleigh).  Widey was sub-let to Oswulf, a Saxon.

Barely touching the coastline was the manor of Weston ('Westone'), which was held by Odo as a sub-tenant from the tenant in chief, Judichael of Totnes Castle.  Odo also held, in his own right, the small manor of Burrington ('Bvretone'), a little way to the north, and Manadon ('Manedone'), to the east.  The manors on either side of Budshead Creek, Budshead or Budocside ('Bucheside') and Tamerton ('Tambretone'), were both held by Alvred the Breton.

Sheep farming was the main activity, so it is hardly surprising that it went on to provide great wealth to local people in later centuries.   There were 180 sheep in the manor of Weston; 160 in the manor of Stoke.  Weston and Stoke also had the highest number of goats, 60 and 40 respectively, as well as the largest number of pigs, 10 and 12 respectively, not to mention the largest number of cows, 15 each.