Webpage created: March 16, 2016.
Webpage updated: March 16, 2016
"THE DEVONPORT AND PLYMOUTH TELEGRAPH: NAVAL AND MILITARY GAZETTE, AND WESTERN COUNTIES ADVERTISER"
Mr Richard Clarkson Smith took over "The Devonport Telegraph and Plymouth Chronicle" in 1850 and from the issue dated Saturday February 8th 1851 it became "The Devonport and Plymouth Telegraph: Naval and Military Gazette, and Western Counties Advertiser, all for 4½d a copy, thanks to a reduction in the newspaper tax.
At some as yet
unidentified point in its life the word "Commercial" replaced "Military" as
when the last edition of the newspaper was published on Saturday June 27th
1863 it was as "The Devonport and Plymouth Telegraph: Naval and
Commercial Gazette, and Western Counties Advertiser. It was then
amalgamated with "The Western Weekly News" although Whitfeld's claimed that
it passed in spirit to "The Devonport Independent".