OLD DEVONPORT . UK
www.olddevonport.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: February 13, 2016
Webpage updated: December 22, 2019

To go to the Home Page          To go to the A-Z Contents Page

EDUCATION IN OLD DEVONPORT  /  DEVONPORT LOCAL EDUCATION AUTHORITY

DEVONPORT MUNICIPAL SECONDARY SCHOOL FOR GIRLS

The Devonport Municipal Secondary School for Girls had its origins in the Devonport, Stoke and Stonehouse High school for Girls, a private venture established in May 1875 in their own building adjoining the Anglican Church of Saint Michael the Archangel, at the top of Albert Road.  It survived until November 1895, when the owning Company went into voluntary liquidation.  The few remaining pupils were transferred to the Devonport Technical School in Paradise Road.

It would seem that the numbers dwindled until in September 1908 there were only ten scholars each paying a fee of 4 guineas (4 14s 6d) per year.  The School was then transferred to the Devonport Local Education Authority who named it the Devonport Municipal Secondary School for Girls.  Soon afterwards its title was simplified to just the Devonport Secondary School for Girls.

In 1935 the School was still housed in what was then the Plymouth and Devonport Technical College and Central School of Art and Crafts although it had its own Headmistress, Miss D Moore BSc Lond.