Webpage created: March 14, 2016.
Webpage updated: March 14, 2016
CINEMA PICTURE PALACE
The Cinema Picture Palace on the corner of Saint Aubyn Street and Barrack Street, Devonport, opened on Saturday May 21st 1910. The choice of the date was rather unfortunate in one respect as it was the day of the funeral of HRH King Edward VII. Consequently the opening received no publicity in the press as there was no space in the papers to do so. Fortuitously, it was one of the first in the area to show the film of the event.
It was owned by Messrs Cinema Picture Palace (Devonport) Ltd, and the manager was Mr E Yeoman. The cinema licence was issued to Mr F G Tarn. It was open continuously from 6.30 to 11pm and the programme was changed on Mondays and Thursdays. Admission cost 3d for adults and 2d for children but reserved seats cost 6d. The cinema had the distinction of being 'electrically cooled during the summer’, which presumably meant that it had fans. It held 700 filmgoers.
However, there was soon a change of ownership and licensee. In October 1911 the licence was issued to Mr William Henry Hobbs, subject to some building work being completed to the satisfaction of the Borough Surveyor and the Chief Constable.
When the licence was again renewed, on October 17th
1912, it was issued in the names of Mr W H Hobbs and Mr Michael Stein and
the name had changed to the Colliseum
(sic) Picture Palace.