OLD DEVONPORT . UK
www.olddevonport.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: March 05, 2016.
Webpage updated: March 14, 2016

To go to the Home Page          To go to the A-Z Contents Page

-

CAMEL'S HEAD CINEDROME

In May 1916 the licence for the Camel's Head Picture Palace had passed from Mr Henry Slater to Mr Gwyther Eastlake Prance, who immediately set about extending the premises and renamed it the Camel's Head Cinedrome.

Even this situation did not last long. In 1918 the licence was held by Mr A E Davies and in January 1919 it was transferred back to Mr Henry Slater. He was probably the proper owner and, like Mr Mont Gilpin at the Belgrave, had gone to serve his country during the Great War because in December 1920 he was advertising in the Evening Herald: 'Cinedrome, Camel's Head. Have you been yet? Kindly Note: Run by two ex-Service men.'

Maybe this plea fell on deaf ears.  In June 1921 a Mr Charles Henry Smale took over the licence and by the November the premises had been renamed the Wolseley Cinedrome.