OLD DEVONPORT . UK
www.olddevonport.uk
 

Borough of Devonport Coat of Arms

You are already on the Home Page          Go to the About the Site          To go the A-Z Contents page


WELCOME TO BRIAN MOSELEY'S

OLD DEVONPORT . UK

The original Admiralty House View from the Blockhouse Raglan Barracks
Devonport circa 1898

 

Devonport today is just a district within the City of Plymouth but until 1914 it was a town in itself.  It began with a single stone dock in 1691, set in the rural landscape of the Ancient Manor and Parish of Stoke Damerel, to receive His Majesty's ships of war.  When the workmen tired of their daily trek over from mother Plymouth, they demanded houses be built within walking distance of the Dockyard and the resultant township that grew up was known as Plymouth Dock.  By 1820, with the addition of army barracks and surrounded with defensive fortifications, it had outgrown its parent, Plymouth, and the residents demanded an identity of their own.  On January 1st 1824, with Royal approval, the town was renamed Devonport - the port of Devon.

Both the Royal Dockyard and the town grew rapidly, getting its own Charter of Incorporation as a Borough in 1837, its own Coat of Arms (left) in 1876 and absorbing parts of Saint Budeaux in 1898 and Pennycross in 1900.

To find out more about Devonport use the "A-Z Contents" button above.

 

First published on the World Wide Web on February 1st 2016
A part successor to plymouthdata . info
MADE IN ENGLAND